A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Melted fuse holder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Riggle

PostSubject: Melted fuse holder?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Hey guys, driving home yesterday from work, car temp's started to climb slowly (both oil temp and water temp). I noticed right away and pulled over, turned off car, popped hood. Hmmm, nothing out of place, turn key on and notice no fans running...

BS I say. Check my fuse, WTF>?! Its intact solder wise in the interior, but the entire exterior has melted away including the holder. So that it looked like two spades holding a small wire in between!

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

I cut the "fuse" out, twisted them together, then drove home. Rechecked the wires, and they were not melted or anything, looked the same as when I taped them together. FWIW.

Why would the fuse holder melt, and not pop the fuse? It was a 25 A fuse on a circuit of 2x fans rated at (80W @ 12V each). Which would equate to 6.6666 Amps each, wired in series, so Amps would add, so 13.3333 Amps at 12V....Why the hell did it melt my fuse holder?!

I guess being at peak amps for extended periods of time would get the plastic warm and all...wonder if it was just a cheap ass holder? It came with my Derale Kit here: Clickies

Paging Jim and Dustin! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Might be a cheap fuse holder, or the brushes in the fans might be starting to go bad causing higher amp loads... still within the 25 amp window, mind you. I would have to guess the first idea, just due to the hotter weather and higher under hood temps... but if you can, amp draw the fans. 2cents

edit: I just saw the kit... those fuse holders are always cheap as shit.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Same thing happened to me during a hotter day. I also used cheap parts which I bought from autozone.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Shitty fuseholder. Resistance=Heat

Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04 pm

i have that same controller and never had any issues. Maybe just a bad batch? Mines been used for 3 years without a problem.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:53 pm

What is happening is the female spade ends in the fuse holder are cheap and don't grip the fuse very well. This will create extra resistance and even some arcing which melts the cheap plastic housing for the fuse. Even though this is happening you are still not overdrawing the ampacity of the fuse so it does not blow. With that fuse holder when you get a new one work the connector out of the housing, using a pliers give the spade ends a little squeeze. Ide them back in. There should be a little resistance when you put your new fuse in. Now you know there's a good contact. Otherwise spend twice as much on a "better" fuse holder.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm

s13.240sx wrote:
What is happening is the female spade ends in the fuse holder are cheap and don't grip the fuse very well. This will create extra resistance and even some arcing which melts the cheap plastic housing for the fuse. Even though this is happening you are still not overdrawing the ampacity of the fuse so it does not blow. With that fuse holder when you get a new one work the connector out of the housing, using a pliers give the spade ends a little squeeze. Ide them back in. There should be a little resistance when you put your new fuse in. Now you know there's a good contact. Otherwise spend twice as much on a "better" fuse holder.

HAHA! You are so 100% on the money!

I just checked the friction of the spades on the terminal and one of them was barely even on there, slid off instantly when I tried to slide it off. The other one was tight, but the really melted section was on the loose side.

Exact explanation I was looking for. I dont like to just fix things, the engineer in me YEARNS for WHY! Thanks for the good explanation BTW.

Also thanks for all the input guys, Jim, VNG704, 240sxguy, theboy. You were all right, I didnt see WHERE the resistance was coming from, no corrosion, tested .01 OHMS across shitty fuse holder. Also, I could not amp draw my fans Jim because my meter only goes to 10A (internal fuse) and I think my fans pull 12-13ish.

+1 for all of you!
Back to top Go down
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I often don't use fuseholders, just a pair of good quality spades slid onto the lugs of the fuse. This obviously only works in areas where they don't get disturbed but it works great in a pinch too.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm

That's what I ended up doing. Just got some female spades, shrink tubing, and solder. Perfect "fuse holder" done right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melted fuse holder?   

Back to top Go down

Melted fuse holder?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: