A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Drift car.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 pm

thefreack wrote:
yup young naive. doesn't know what he's doing but his money. he can learn the hard way.

I know what I want, and I have an idea of what I'm doing. And there is no other way then learning the hard way. How do you learn to drift? By drifting. How do you learn to build a motor? By spending money and building one. Then when it breaks fixing it. Only one way to learn things and that's by doing them. Please tell me how you can do something you've never done.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:25 pm

You missed his point. We all hope you go through with it, it's just that 95% of people that claim to want to start a build don't.

Get your feet wet, but keep a budget in mind so it doesn't get pushed to the side or sold half torn apart. By all means we want you to drift if that's what you want to do.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
traphikcod4

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Was just saying I have a good set up for a starter. It will have more then enough power and tq to get your car how you want (sideways) plus its cheap and easy to find parts when and if you need to replace something

But best of luck on what you plan to do
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:32 pm

600SX wrote:
You missed his point. We all hope you go through with it, it's just that 95% of people that claim to want to start a build don't.

Get your feet wet, but keep a budget in mind so it doesn't get pushed to the side or sold half torn apart. By all means we want you to drift if that's what you want to do.

He came off as a dick/bully. Sorry guys. But yeah I understand that. But I really am annoyed with my fwd bs. I have about 1200$ in debt then I'll be starting to save for my build.
Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Whether you take our advice or not is your decision. We've been through this phase your going through and have seen many others say everything your saying. Hell im on motor 9 now (4 sohc, 3 dohc, 2 srs). Were just telling you our experiences.

In the end, nobody gives a shit what you spend your money on. Were just trying to guide your big headed self down a path that has proven results.

If i may add though. Your a fool for wanting to learn how to drift with 300-400hp. Your not going to learn anything other than you have a very heavy right foot. With a stock ka you learn how to set the car up to maximize everything. Which means you learn to drive, and learn how to set your car up to your style. Then and only then you should start adding power. Being humble will make drifting a lot easier for you.
Back to top Go down
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

thatguywiththemohawk wrote:
thefreack wrote:
yup young naive. doesn't know what he's doing but his money. he can learn the hard way.

I know what I want, and I have an idea of what I'm doing. And there is no other way then learning the hard way. How do you learn to drift? By drifting. How do you learn to build a motor? By spending money and building one. Then when it breaks fixing it. Only one way to learn things and that's by doing them. Please tell me how you can do something you've never done.

I am not trying to be a dick. What i was implying is that you are young you think it takes a massive amount of power to drift and you want the baddest car on the block. My suggestion is start out slowly and work your way up. Don`t be another kid that spends 10k and then wraps it around a pole. But like i said your money your choice. Just have fun.
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:57 pm

thefreack wrote:
thefreack wrote:

I am not trying to be a dick. What i was implying is that you are young you think it takes a massive amount of power to drift and you want the baddest car on the block. My suggestion is start out slowly and work your way up. Don`t be another kid that spends 10k and then wraps it around a pole. But like i said your money your choice. Just have fun.

Lol yeah, I'm taking it slow.
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:01 pm

theboy wrote:
Whether you take our advice or not is your decision. We've been through this phase your going through and have seen many others say everything your saying. Hell im on motor 9 now (4 sohc, 3 dohc, 2 srs). Were just telling you our experiences.

In the end, nobody gives a shit what you spend your money on. Were just trying to guide your big headed self down a path that has proven results.

If i may add though. Your a fool for wanting to learn how to drift with 300-400hp. Your not going to learn anything other than you have a very heavy right foot. With a stock ka you learn how to set the car up to maximize everything. Which means you learn to drive, and learn how to set your car up to your style. Then and only then you should start adding power. Being humble will make drifting a lot easier for you.

I am taking all of this advice. I've walked away from the JZ build for now and going to go with a KA-T to start. And I'm going to learn in a stock car and get a solid feeling for it and slowly build it. And I'll be satisfyied with 3-400 hp for a drift car, I don't wanna learn in that. I know I'm going to smack a pole/wall/curb a few times.
Back to top Go down
Jc9up

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm

I've always ran ka dohc's in all of my drift cars. Inexpensive to build, reliable, parts are cheap, and you can buy the parts anywhere.

IMO the more bang for your buck is the ka. A good tune is always helpful too.

Ultimately it comes down to how much money you want to waste on a motor and will it be a drift only missile or a dd and weekend drifter.

Remember... If this is going to be your intro to drifting, YOU WILL WRECK IT!!. It's just a part of life. We all do it until you learn and understand all the ins and outs.

And lastly, tires. You will be going through a TON of them, and they aren't cheap. On a normal drift weekend I would go through 1-2 sets depending on how many runs I was making, and if i was running in the main event. I was fortunate to get a part time job working at a tire shop so I could get them at cost and it was still running me a couple hundred bucks a weekend.

But you can't put a price on the feeling you get the first time you hit a perfect run

Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

I am taking all of this advice. I've walked away from the JZ build for now and going to go with a KA-T to start. And I'm going to learn in a stock car and get a solid feeling for it and slowly build it. And I'll be satisfyied with 3-400 hp for a drift car, I don't wanna learn in that. I know I'm going to smack a pole/wall/curb a few times.

But even with this quote your doing it backwards. You've never been drifting and yet your going to run a stock car with a ka-t. The stock s-chassis sucks ass in ever aspect. Every midwestern car you find is going to beat to shit and worn out. Spend the money, you think you have planned on a ka-t, and buy yourself a suspension that will fix all oem issues. Im telling from experience that a bone stock ka on a mediocre chassis setup (ruca, toes, tensions, and coilovers) is the most fun you will have drifting. Yes you wont have the power to hang with an sr, ls, 1/2j. But they have to learn how a slow car handles which fucks them every time. Anyone can drive fast with gobs of power.
Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Jc9up wrote:
I've always ran ka dohc's in all of my drift cars. Inexpensive to build, reliable, parts are cheap, and you can buy the parts anywhere.

IMO the more bang for your buck is the ka. A good tune is always helpful too.

Ultimately it comes down to how much money you want to waste on a motor and will it be a drift only missile or a dd and weekend drifter.

Remember... If this is going to be your intro to drifting, YOU WILL WRECK IT!!. It's just a part of life. We all do it until you learn and understand all the ins and outs.

And lastly, tires. You will be going through a TON of them, and they aren't cheap. On a normal drift weekend I would go through 1-2 sets depending on how many runs I was making, and if i was running in the main event. I was fortunate to get a part time job working at a tire shop so I could get them at cost and it was still running me a couple hundred bucks a weekend.

But you can't put a price on the feeling you get the first time you hit a perfect run

This not to hate on or bash any of you

Youve never run a sohc if you like the dohc. ka's are not cheap to build, they are far from reliable. And parts arent anywhere but ebay. Also how many "cars" are we talking here?

Bang for your buck an sr is the better candidate. But look at this way. $1200-1400 up front plus fluids hoses ect (say $500 more). Or $500 (ka , sohc may be cheaper)+ turbo + manifold(times 3 if you get an ebay one) + lines + exhaust + tunes(cause it will take more than one) + injectors + intercooler (unless you hot pipe it) + radiator (because oem will cook it for you) + a rebuild kit because its going to come with well over 100k miles(maybe not if your lucky) + motor mounts(oem go after 80k) + anything else i may have missed.

Tires: Im guessing you haven't done anything remotely close to competition. Track days at LAX or Wreckford Thunderdome are way different than an actual drift day or event. Once you get your feet wet and actually find that you have a talent (or think you do). Then start supplying yourself with tires. While your in the "omg what do i do phase" you really need to look into junk yard $20 tires and steelies or cheap se wheels. Since this is a budget build i would stay as far away from 17-18" wheels unless your going to get a decent pair for the front. Nobody likes destroying $100+ tires when its out of their pocket. But your in luck because junk yards love selling tires so they dont have to hold on to them for ever or spend a bunch of money to get them recycled. Become friends with the morons at tire rack so you can have your shit mounted free. And no your not going to get a tire sponsor until your budget build has consumed every penny you make every paycheck.

Oh and prepare to never have a social life again unless your at the track or your cars broke and you spent the rest of your money on gas and a tow truck to get it home. Insurance doesn't like it when the tow truck drivers write, "i scraped it off a wall on the nearest race track."
Back to top Go down
Jc9up

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Hmm.. I've been driving 240's since 1993 when I bought my first one brand new.. Since then I've ONLY had 240's. I'm 39. Probably the oldest member here. I've driven EVERY combination in them. Rb25, rb26, rb20, ca18, sohc, dohc, 1j, 2j, etc,....I've been there and done that. I drifted in Florida sponsored for 10 years. It's obvious exp doesn't count in this thread considering I've been in the game longer than most of the people here have been alive.

Parts are EVERYWHERE for ka's you just have to know where to look. There are tons of custom shops in Florida, Texas, and Cali.. Nissan/Datsun racing out of Texas gives me hella deals on parts.

But then again don't listen to me. I was just trying to head you down the right path for a beginner.

It's a personal preference thing.. We could fight all day over what motor is better. It's the classic ford vs chevy thing.

As far as the tires thing goes... I agree. Junkyard them. They're cheap and you can get them practically for free. And yes, become friends with someone that has a tire machine so you can mount/unmount them for free. That's a huge money saver and kiss your free time goodbye.

Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

I say start the project, spend all kinds of money, then lose interest/have a kid/get married/jail/military so I can buy all your barely used parts for pennies on the dollar. Twisted Evil

But seriously, hope things go your way, but keep in mind drifting is easily the most expensive sport in existence. Its a hard sport to pick up if you aren't a mechanic or getting alot of handouts from moms/pops.

Having a dedicated drift car means having another car to daily, oh, and having a truck to haul it with to events because its not street legal/insured/cant stand driving it for extended periods of time, oh wait, and a trailer to put the car on. Then gas to haul all the shit, doh, and $$$ for entry fees.

Doh, forgot about tires, yep going to need a ton of those, gah, and ~6 extra rims for spares, oh, and a parts car for when you hit the wall. Shit, more $ for extra hp/stance because you want more angle/hang the drift longer. Dammit, more $ because I keep blowing motors/diffs because I bounce the shit out of my rev limiter.

Again, not trying to get you down in the least, but I want you to be aware of all of the "shit" aspects that come with the dorifto BS. Looks/feels amazing when doing it...but comes with a heavy cost that most aren't aware of, or choose to ignore.

Set a budget AND STICK TO YOUR BUDGET!

I know some seriously good/successful drift folks that made it happen by doing just that.

Being in debt up to your eyeballs chasing smoking/sliding dreams is no fun and can financially ruin you/haunt you for the next 10+ years. It may not seem like it, but I have been around the "game" since Simba Nyemba/Eric Wortman/Rob Riter/Jesse Trevino started ClubFR (circa 2002ish if memory serves me correct). For every success there are over 20 failures. Simba, Eric, Rob are all "successes", so that means over 60 peeps failed somewhere along the line and you see them come/go on the forums.

11 years of experience is just dropping his .02

Best of luck to ya! Hope we can help in your quest.
Back to top Go down
Jc9up

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

Riggle wrote:
I say start the project, spend all kinds of money, then lose interest/have a kid/get married/jail/military so I can buy all your barely used parts for pennies on the dollar. Twisted Evil

But seriously, hope things go your way, but keep in mind drifting is easily the most expensive sport in existence. Its a hard sport to pick up if you aren't a mechanic or getting alot of handouts from moms/pops.

Having a dedicated drift car means having another car to daily, oh, and having a truck to haul it with to events because its not street legal/insured/cant stand driving it for extended periods of time, oh wait, and a trailer to put the car on. Then gas to haul all the shit, doh, and $$$ for entry fees.

Doh, forgot about tires, yep going to need a ton of those, gah, and ~6 extra rims for spares, oh, and a parts car for when you hit the wall. Shit, more $ for extra hp/stance because you want more angle/hang the drift longer. Dammit, more $ because I keep blowing motors/diffs because I bounce the shit out of my rev limiter.

Again, not trying to get you down in the least, but I want you to be aware of all of the "shit" aspects that come with the dorifto BS. Looks/feels amazing when doing it...but comes with a heavy cost that most aren't aware of, or choose to ignore.

Set a budget AND STICK TO YOUR BUDGET!

I know some seriously good/successful drift folks that made it happen by doing just that.

Being in debt up to your eyeballs chasing smoking/sliding dreams is no fun and can financially ruin you/haunt you for the next 10+ years. It may not seem like it, but I have been around the "game" since Simba Nyemba/Eric Wortman/Rob Riter/Jesse Trevino started ClubFR (circa 2002ish if memory serves me correct). For every success there are over 20 failures. Simba, Eric, Rob are all "successes", so that means over 60 peeps failed somewhere along the line and you see them come/go on the forums.

11 years of experience is just dropping his .02

Best of luck to ya! Hope we can help in your quest.

Very well said!
Back to top Go down
thefreack

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 pm

I hate to jump in here. Enough of the pissing contest. This is a build thread. I apolgize for all the thread jacking. Kid i hope you find a car so we can see how you progress.if you want or need help let us know. Good luck
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:51 pm

theboy wrote:

But even with this quote your doing it backwards. You've never been drifting and yet your going to run a stock car with a ka-t. The stock s-chassis sucks ass in ever aspect. Every midwestern car you find is going to beat to shit and worn out. Spend the money, you think you have planned on a ka-t, and buy yourself a suspension that will fix all oem issues. Im telling from experience that a bone stock ka on a mediocre chassis setup (ruca, toes, tensions, and coilovers) is the most fun you will have drifting. Yes you wont have the power to hang with an sr, ls, 1/2j. But they have to learn how a slow car handles which fucks them every time. Anyone can drive fast with gobs of power.

im taking it slow, im going to get the feel for the car purely stock and then do suspension work, and then go turbo. im not going to buy a car boost it that day and learn how to drift, its going to take time, i know that.
Back to top Go down
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 am

Drifting is AWESOME!

Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm

thefreack wrote:
I hate to jump in here. Enough of the pissing contest. This is a build thread. I apolgize for all the thread jacking. Kid i hope you find a car so we can see how you progress.if you want or need help let us know. Good luck

Is it a build thread if the only thing being built is conjecture? Ha.

LOL @ Dave's posting of Dave...
Back to top Go down
Jc9up

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

From his last response I think he's got the right idea and is heading down the right path. Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

Jc9up wrote:
From his last response I think he's got the right idea and is heading down the right path. Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

Thank you. And I will keep you all posted.
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:26 pm

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/3606173635.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3601195175.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3603159429.html

As soon as tax day comes and goes the prices are gonna rise with the temperature, gets your ass in gear and make a decision farao
Back to top Go down
thatguywiththemohawk

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm still 1000$ in debt. On top of school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drift car.    

Back to top Go down

Drift car.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Builds and Projects-
Jump to: