A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Brake Discussion!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ujsp

PostSubject: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm

So what is everybody running for their brake setups? From my research it looks like the easiest route is using the Z32 pieces? In the front this sounds easy enough (calipers bolt right on, conversion lines needed) but the rears sound like a pain because of the E-brake setup.

I'm also seeing guys using STI and EVO Brembos. This was a big thing with the DSMs as well. Looks like the rear STI calipers bolt up with a 3mm washer to space it out, and a fairly simple adapter bracket in front with the same lines from the Z32 calipers is all thats needed in front. However, the EVO and STIs seem to use the same internal drum style e-brake as the Z32, making that a hurdle for this setup as well, and they are quite a bit more expensive than the Z32s.

I have also heard of guys using the Q45's setup as well, although I have not looked into that as much.

At this point, I am leaning towards doing Z32 calipers up front with Circuit sports drilled and slotted rotors (drilled for 4 lug as well) and conversion lines, while in the rear leaving the stock caliper (for simplicity sake, and I like my ebrake) and maybe doing a set of drilled and slotted rotors, nice pads, and stainless lines.

Front Conversion Rotors (drilled for 4 and 5 lug)
SS Lines: Front Z32 to 240 Conversion, Rear 240
Rear Rotors

So lets hear it! What do you guys run? Any recommendations for a street car that will (hopefully) see a bit of Autocross and track day time?
Back to top Go down
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great info^^^
Back to top Go down
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Yes that is. I read through the majority of that last night. Tons of good info there. Thanks for posting the link!
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Q45 i believe will be the simplest and cheapest brake setup.

With the Q45 you don't need the Z32 BMC like you do if you run Z32 brakes. They bolt on and they retain the same factory S13 Lines (or you can opt for stainless) Pads are cheap yet finding aftermarket pads are few and far between, Same goes for rotors.

It depends too on how much power, what your using the car for and how much tire you are going to have. Z32's re gonna be over kill on a NA KA with a 195-205 tire IMO.

Another setup that doesn't get much love for no real reason is the Spec V SE-R Sentra Brembos. those seem to go fairly resonably priced.

600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:19 pm

My stock setup still works just fine. Rolling Eyes

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:50 pm

600SX wrote:
My stock setup still works just fine. Rolling Eyes

You and I have a couple of the fastest cars on the site and we both have stock brakes.

I had Q brakes but took them off. They were super heavy and offered jack squat for quality pad choices. The Z32 aluminum are the only oem calipers I would consider.

Evan
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 am

You two also don't auto-x or road race your cars. or throw them around alot of corners. So stock brakes should be fine for you guys.

240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 am

Flicktitty wrote:
You two also don't auto-x or road race your cars. or throw them around alot of corners. So stock brakes should be fine for you guys.

That's my point. 99% of people do brake upgrades for no reason (I am not referring to the OP, since his intention is tracking)
Back to top Go down
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

I would use mine for Cops....When I install them some year. Sad
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:52 am

Flicktitty wrote:

I agree Flick, but I do stop at the big end of a dragstrip, and drive tight twisty roads quite spirited. My brakes do get used hard.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
xwizkidx

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm

So what about a nice set of hawk HP+ pads all around and some braided brake lines with some ATE super blue fluid?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ridesmke.com
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm

I auto-x and road race mine hard. Go through a set of pads every year.

I run Z32 fronts, stock rears (I like my ebrake, Z32 rear brakes have drum style, fuck rigging that shit up for no gain except aluminum Z32 uprights). I have no issue with pedal feel or proportioning.

I run Hawk HP+'s, ATE super blue, teflon coated braided stainless steel lines from SPL parts.

I am thinking of going with carbotech or porterfield for pads this year, just to change up 2 years of HP+'s. However, I am so happy with the HP+'s, part of me is asking why change compound?

Stock brakes with a good pad and fluid will be all you ever need. If anything you don't need a bigger/baller setup, but actually ducts to cool the stock brakes (what, $15 worth of NACA ducts, hose, and some elbow grease?) to get them airflow.

I put my setup on because I bought an entire Z32 partout, rear diff, brakes, hubs, rotors, ect. So it was just in the cards at $300 bucks. Don't forget, big brakes = big wheels, big wheels = big tires etc. Its a much slicker slope than just a "brake upgrade."

I say buy good pads, fluid, and good lines (old rubber ones COULD stand to be changed, they are a wear item after all), the stock brakes are just fine on both the S13 and S14.

I'll bet $ you can't overheat the above setup. In fact, I ran 20 min hot lapping sessions at USAIR (extremely brake intensive overall) with Napa pads and good fluid...they did just fine. Stock lines, stock rotors, calipers, etc. 3x 20 min sessions, 90 degrees out, no fade or pedal issues till maybe last lap or two, when you should be cooling your jets anyways because you are about to pit.

Just my .02
Back to top Go down
ujsp

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

Riggle- That is the same setup and rationale I came up with as well. I was under the impression that the factory hardware would heat up and fade rather quickly with spirited driving. If I could get away with some decent pads lines and fluid for now, that would be a money saver while I wait for a deal to come around. Thanks for the .02!
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Ian what rotors are you running in the back to fit 5 lug and stock calipers? OE 95+ SE disks?
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

s13.240sx wrote:
Ian what rotors are you running in the back to fit 5 lug and stock calipers? OE 95+ SE disks?

Yep, OD and thickness are nearly identical (if not identical), fit perfect, no modding.

I got the info from the below link originally a few years ago.

nismodave wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great info^^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake Discussion!!   

Back to top Go down

Brake Discussion!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-