A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

SR hard start

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: SR hard start   Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Well since ive swapped everything over to the new chassis ive had an issue getting it to start...usually takes 3 or 4 tries and it idles like crap for the first 10 seconds then jumps up to 1800 and starts to settle as it warms up. I have full rpm sweep all the way up to rev limiter so im kinda ruling out a maf problem. I put new injector o-rings in and replaced my fpr to another one that i had laying around that came off a good running motor from a year or so ago. I no longer have the stock intake on the car and am running the cxracing intake (planned on switching to pbm) and that is the ONLY thing that has changed on the car since the last chassis and it started just fine before. im either thinkin the intake is causing the maf to not read properly or my fuel pump is starting to get weak. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions issues theyve had that were similar? Greatly appreciate the feedback in advance.

Drew
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am

Does it start fine once it's warmed up?
If so, it could be the orange wire by your ECU. Is it getting 12 volts on crank?
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:43 am

boost leak?

any codes?

If you start it then drive around or let it idle till warm does it still do it?^

Back to top Go down
nismodave

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 am

zerepdivad wrote:
Does it start fine once it's warmed up?
If so, it could be the orange wire by your ECU. Is it getting 12 volts on crank?

this....I had the same issue and it was voltage.
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 pm

No boost leak no vac leak and starts fine when warmed up...ill check out the voltage tonight when i get off work and see where i sit. Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Does anyone remember which tracer it is. I was told it was like pin 46 or 47 but theres 2 orange wires there one is a silver tracer and the other is blue.
Thanks, Drew
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm

I don't remember the exact spot. It will be going to the dash plug from the ECU with the temp wire, tach etc.
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Alright ill dig around again some more tonight and see what i can find...i probed and didnt get any voltage but i could be on the wrong wire.
Thanks again everyone!
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Durdan wrote:
hurp derp wrote:

Was the old chassis auto? Was the motor auto? Is the wiring harness auto?

I had the same issue on my old set up. The SR engine harness was for an auto, so it had 2 TPS plugs. Obviously only one was hooked up. That caused the ECM to freak out and do weird things on cold starts exactly like what he is saying.

I had the same issues on my new shell (was auto), until I fixed the body harness and took out all the auto sensors/wiring.

that second TPS sensor does not go to the SR ecu, though. it goes to the separate transmission controller for the kick down.

make sure that there is 12v+ going to the orange wire on the gauge cluster plug behind the glove box. also, while it's running, start spraying the intake manifold down with brake parts cleaner (or carb cleaner) to find a vacuum leak. those Freddy intakes have the worst casting out there and often are riddled with pinholes (can seal with just grey RTV, though)
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm

i explained that it wasn't an intake mani and that you had it wire tucked then he said this

Durdan wrote:

oh jesus.

also, MAFS location can fuck up how they run, too. too close to the turbo, and the air gets all turbulent and fucks up the reading

he knows a sr wiring harness like it's his wang and has been fuxing with them for like 15 years....so idk
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Tell him thanks Chuckles! and if anyone reads this for future refrence its pin 34 on the ecu.
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 pm

It's not just Sr harnesses that have that. Ka's, Ca's etc. have it also.
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:35 pm

All it is, is just a crank signal right? Lets say hipothetically i dont have power off the ecu at this orange wire, what can a guy do to remedy this problem?
Back to top Go down
zerepdivad

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 pm

You can do the mullet way and do it to a toggle switch if you want. Or to the starter wire in your harness as well. When I tested the wire on my car it just gets 12v during crank. Those of course aren't the "right way" to do it, but will work. Obviously the best solution is to figure out why it's not getting voltage when needed.
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Haha i dont need any more confusion in my car i think ill just find the starter wire and solder it to that and see how that works...im gunna throw my other intake and the airtex e2448 (walbro 255) pump in just to see if maybe thats not helpin the issue and i will update with everyone in the morning.
Thanks again for all the help next time i have a cookout/bonfire beer and burgers are on me Smile
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 pm

slidesocietyog wrote:
All it is, is just a crank signal right? Lets say hipothetically i dont have power off the ecu at this orange wire, what can a guy do to remedy this problem?
tell justin to "do it better" next time
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 am

it only sees power at cranking to retard the timing or something magical like that so it starts all good like
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 am

Well it turns out there was no power at the orange wire >.< gunna pull the dash tomorrow and wire it into ign crank power and hopefully get the thing to start like it was meant to
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm

just trace the wire...i bet it is broke some where....lol
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Or the fuse is blown lol if the fuse is good I'm pullin the dash...we tucked that harness pretty tight but I still gotta clean up my relay boxes that are just chillin in the glove box but that happens when lazy people get lazier lol
Back to top Go down
chuck_chizzle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 pm

you're too young to be that lazy...lol.. give it like 5 years.
Back to top Go down
slidesocietyog

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 pm

I work to damn hard not to be lazy!
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:05 am

slidesocietyog wrote:
Well since ive swapped everything over to the new chassis ive had an issue getting it to start...usually takes 3 or 4 tries and it idles like crap for the first 10 seconds then jumps up to 1800 and starts to settle as it warms up. I have full rpm sweep all the way up to rev limiter so im kinda ruling out a maf problem. I put new injector o-rings in and replaced my fpr to another one that i had laying around that came off a good running motor from a year or so ago. I no longer have the stock intake on the car and am running the cxracing intake (planned on switching to pbm) and that is the ONLY thing that has changed on the car since the last chassis and it started just fine before. im either thinkin the intake is causing the maf to not read properly or my fuel pump is starting to get weak. Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions issues theyve had that were similar? Greatly appreciate the feedback in advance.

Drew

I no longer have the stock intake on the car and am running the cxracing intake (planned on switching to pbm) and that is the ONLY thing that has changed on the car since the last chassis and it started just fine before

read that 3 times and rinse and repeat......I dont know what you have as far as fuel/air control, but before you go doing some "crazy dashboard pulling stuff"

throw a wideband on the car first.........if you dont have one already........BASICALLY,

YOUR STOCK ECU THINKS YOU STILL HAVE THE STOCK INTAKESETUP, dont blame it though IGNORANCE IS BLISS lol

sorry i missed this first time!
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 am

Post a pic of your engine bay etc...car mods
Back to top Go down
mrsparkle

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 am

im referring to the 'intake manifold' , if your talking about replace the plastic pipe that connects maf to tb then ignore what i said cause it shouldnt make that much of a difference unless you have intake/vacuum leaks

never mind i just read you have 92 hatch with redtop sr20 lightl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SR hard start   

Back to top Go down

SR hard start
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: