A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Member, something "a Little" different.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JustTouge

PostSubject: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 am

Hey fellow WI forum people. I've been trolling this site for a few weeks now seeing that I just bought a 1990 240sx Hatchback, and I figured it was time to register and introduce myself.

First off, I’m Jake. I am currently going to school at UWO for marketing and I have been into cars for quite some time now. Something that might be a bit different than your typical new member is that fact that I’m only 3ft 9in tall. No joke. I try not to let that get in the way of my driving hobby though. I have been auto crossing on and off for about 3 years with the Fox Valley sports car club, and Central Wisconsin sports car club. Other than cars I don’t do too much, I dabble in photography occasionally. I just like hanging out with my friends most of the time, I’m a pretty relaxed guy.

Enough about me here is a bit of where my car obsession began.

I started off with Hondas (had 3 of them this was my favorite)
Here is my 1991 Honda CRX HF that had a Japanese GSR motor and LSD transmission.

Then I switched car types completely, I didn’t want FWD anymore.
So I bought a very clean low mileage (semi-built) Galant VR4. I just wasn’t feeling that car at all, way to big for me.

So I went back to small cars and picked up a 1996 Mazda Miata that was turbocharged. Super fun car, wish I didn’t sell it.

Then I wanted a bit of a project/fun car over the winter so I picked up a 1990 BMW 325is from texas, the factory LSD was fun but the car had to many issues for me to tackle still being in school so I sold it.

Now on to the most recent (and hopefully staying for awhile) 1990 Nissan 240sx hatchback. The car is bone stock, very clean, and semi low mileage 125K. I hope to keep the car for awhile and slowly build it. As it sits its in desperate need of some suspension replacements, the stock shocks are the most blown I have ever seen on a car, and the brakes need to be bled. Other than that its good to go.

Sorry for the junky pictures, my good camera just broke.

Well thanks for reading the overly long intro, feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Looks like you have had very nice collection of cars in your past.
almost all of which i have a soft spot for, love the GVR-4's and the 1st gen Miatas and E30's.

the new 240sx looks pretty damn clean, congrats on picking it up what do you have in store for it?

I'm assuming UWO as in Oshkosh? i was just up there this past weekend. and i met someone this summer from the fox valley sports car club who has a gray s13 coupe with a sil front, you know who that is?

Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 am

Welcome Jake, enjoy your stay.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 am

Flicktitty wrote:
almost all of which i have a soft spot for, love the GVR-4's and the 1st gen Miatas and E30's.

the new 240sx looks pretty damn clean, congrats on picking it up what do you have in store for it?

I'm assuming UWO as in Oshkosh? i was just up there this past weekend. and i met someone this summer from the fox valley sports car club who has a gray s13 coupe with a sil front, you know who that is?

The 240sx, the goal for this car is to keep if for some time. It should be a slower build then any of the previous cars I have had. I'm not going to lie; it’s a bit difficult going from a boosted Miata (Ran 12.8's) to this SOHC 240sx. Yeah I would love more power, who wouldn't. But as of right now it’s not on my priority list.

The brakes and suspension need to be addressed first. Being super broke on a college student with no job isn’t helping the situation. I might replace the pads with something a bit more aggressive (Hawk HP+?), then bleed the system and the brakes should be good to go.

But as for the shocks needing replacement I am unsure where to begin. My first thoughts were to replace the shocks with some Koni yellows; I loved them on my CRX. Then after thinking about it I figured I wanted ride height adjustability that a spring/ Koni yellow setup wouldn’t offer. So I started doing some research, keep in mind I am an Uber poor guy, and decided that the Megan streets seem like an Ok coilover for the money. I am still undecided though; I am also considering buying a used set of decent coilovers, or going the opposite direction and being the guinea pig for the lovely EBay company known as “Godspeed”.

After those two issues are sorted out I think I would like to invest into some RUCA's, and other little suspension pieces. Followed with a decent set (thinking low offset) wheels. Not sure where to start there either.

If I still have money around I want to replace the clutch with something stiffer, and throw in a lightweight flywheel for the time being. Its not a good chance that the car will get much more actual power this summer, I think I will just rock the SOHC. Maybe an SR in the future, but who knows.

UWO is UW Oshkosh. It’s a fun place; the car scene is kinda blah here though.

The guy with the gray Sil front S13 that you met I am guessing is Justin. He is a nice guy, and a very fast driver in that car. I think he won STS class two years ago. Justin is really involved in the club, and has helped me out already with some advice for the car. He also takes awesome automotive photography.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 am

Flicktitty wrote:

minus the hondaaa

lol im not a honda lover.

welcome to the site! yea we were in oskhosh this past weekend visiting my grandparents...
and whenever id be up there, i would never see any cool cars. lol.

i bet youll have fun with the 240!

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
j240sxxx

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 am

Welcome Jake. I think ive heard of you, well seen your crx. Do you know a guy named zac burkholtz or somthing like that. he drove a 95 civic hatch red with black hood and currently drives a black del slow with red sportmax?
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:15 am

j240sxxx wrote:
Welcome Jake. I think ive heard of you, well seen your crx. Do you know a guy named zac burkholtz or somthing like that. he drove a 95 civic hatch red with black hood and currently drives a black del slow with red sportmax?

Yep I met him years ago at a Honda-tech meet. I think the last time I saw him was in the dells for automotion, or he might have been at an autocross this year. I forget. GSR swapped del slow thats real loud?

Actually I think the last time I saw him was at a local weekly meet in Wisconsin Rapids, Taco tuesday. After Tacos the guys go run there cars, he was having some issues with that del sol breaking up while in vtak. That had to be over a year ago though.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I also would like to invest into a Diff upgrade. Open Diffs FTL.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:42 am

JustTouge wrote:

The brakes and suspension need to be addressed first. Being super broke on a college student with no job isn’t helping the situation. I might replace the pads with something a bit more aggressive (Hawk HP+?), then bleed the system and the brakes should be good to go.

But as for the shocks needing replacement I am unsure where to begin. My first thoughts were to replace the shocks with some Koni yellows; I loved them on my CRX. Then after thinking about it I figured I wanted ride height adjustability that a spring/ Koni yellow setup wouldn’t offer. So I started doing some research, keep in mind I am an Uber poor guy, and decided that the Megan streets seem like an Ok coilover for the money. I am still undecided though; I am also considering buying a used set of decent coilovers, or going the opposite direction and being the guinea pig for the lovely EBay company known as “Godspeed”.

After those two issues are sorted out I think I would like to invest into some RUCA's, and other little suspension pieces. Followed with a decent set (thinking low offset) wheels. Not sure where to start there either.

The guy with the gray Sil front S13 that you met I am guessing is Justin. He is a nice guy, and a very fast driver in that car. I think he won STS class two years ago. Justin is really involved in the club, and has helped me out already with some advice for the car. He also takes awesome automotive photography.

For brakes a hawk HP pad should be good, and even a slotted rotor. or if you would rather, you can piece together a Infiniti Q45 brake setup for less then $3-400 and that's including Hawk pads,brembo rotors,Stainless steel lines and used calipers. if you go with all off the shelf Q45 stuff you could be well under there. and they work MUCH better then stock 240sx brakes.

Megan coilovers work actually VERY well, Liz(mo) has them on her 240sx and they are a great bang for the buck, it won't had JDM points or anything like that. but for the $800 new or the availability of them used is hard to beat. Ruca's will be NEEDED at the same time you do coilovers, or else you wont be able to adjust the camber on them so that should be on the list. low offset wheels are easy to find now a days, Enjuku just came out with a new 16x9 +15 wheel the set is less the $400. or theres always sportmax and diamond racing wheels,etc.

Yeah, Justin that sounds about right. i talked to him up at RA at a tracking even he seemed to have a good camera with him too, nice guy.

as far as a diff that isn't open just look into a S14 VLSD or a silvia VLSD. either would work great and there not much money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.axis-racing.com
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Welcome!! and by any chance did you happend to live in janesville before, that vr4 looks familiar
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Nope not from Janesville, Originally from the Waupaca area. Now in Oshkosh. I noticed you are from Delevan, there is a 240sx owner on my CWSCC website thats from there, his is a gray s13. I don't think I have ever met him personally though.

For right now I just want these brakes functioning correctly, so I am just going to do the minimum as long as the work well. I can upgrade later (I dont think this car can go fast enough to need huge Q45 brakes, yet).

The coilovers I am leaning towards the Megans a bit, they seem to have a decent review for the price.

Wheels won't be down the road for awhile now, but I do like the look of the P45R, low offset white TE37's would be nice (If I had $$$$).... I want something agressive, with a decent offset, but I am worried a stock body won't pull anything to agressive off to well. I will keep looking around to see what looks good. Also trying to stay away from anything bigger than a 17 for sure.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:13 pm

no chance u are the kid with a white hatch afew years ago that used to go to stevens point and hit the prairie up are u??? the one that talks alot about initial d??? lol well anyways welcome and clean 240sx
Back to top Go down
pancho y onions

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Well by golly that's a shiny 240sx. Wana share a snickers bar with me?
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:36 am

kouki_chee wrote:
no chance u are the kid with a white hatch afew years ago that used to go to stevens point and hit the prairie up are u??? the one that talks alot about initial d??? lol well anyways welcome and clean 240sx

At one point I did have a white 89 Civic Si (my first honda), that I occasionally would run up in stevens point. I was up there almost every weekend for awhile. You might also be thinking of one of my really good friends, Ron. He drove a somewhat dented white EG hatchback with a Z6 swap, and still has it too. We both talk about Initial D a bit too much, so you could of met either of us. Was he normal sized? If not then you met me.... I also used to run up in point fairly often with the red GSR swapped crx you can see in my original post.

Its too bad that scene died off so bad, I had some really fun times with 40 cars out there....Just running for hours, lots of neat cars to see run. I made a trip up there this summer (the first trip to prairie in well over a year) to run some cars in the Miata, did some work on the well known "Rattle" B16 CRX on slicks...(That b16 crx owned my gsr crx, so I had to come back for a little redemption), then the 5-0 showed up. Got a front plate ticket, and I will never go back. Its all Evos up there now anyway, I miss the days where there were tons of close 13-14 second cars there. What did you drive by chance?

I'm not a Snickers guy, Twix is where its at.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Hey Jake, this is Ian.

I have the maroon S13, we talked a few times at the lapping/auto-x days at Shawano.

No way you are leaving that thing stock. Try as you might, wont happen. Razz

I had a VR4 for almost 5 years and DSM's for about 5 before that.

Brings a tear to the eye to think about the good ol days.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm

lol yea i met u then... im almost 100% sure... u might remember me by the question i asked u... i asked u, how do u drive and u said ohh u know, with my penis...lol... i forgot what i was driving when i met u... might of been my red 91 240sx or my 200sx se-r... my 240sx never ran but my se-r was the white one that i raced Robert... the saab guy... lol i cant believe i lost to him by a car... well my clutch was going bad to so it wasnt to bad... u might remember me also because i was one of the few asians that went there... no im not the guys with the riced out hondas... all the cars i took there were nissans... look here to see if any of these cars look familiar... i think u might of seen the red 240sx of the white se-r http://wi240sx.omgforum.net/t83-my-past-and-present-projects-nothing-to-serious-like-lizmo-s-build-though
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey Ian, glad to see a familiar face on here. What class are you running with your car ST? I plan on having some intense games of chase this season at shawano I hope you are ready! Whats all done to your car? You have any suggestions on any modifications that were were worth the money, I am thinking a lightweight flywheel should help a bit.

kouki_chee, I remember you showing up to point with that red S13... you had told me you had swapped the diffs to an LSD unit and it drifts like a champ. I don't remember seeing any of your other cars there, but its been a long time and I have a bad memory.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 pm

JustTouge wrote:
Hey Ian, glad to see a familiar face on here. What class are you running with your car ST? I plan on having some intense games of chase this season at shawano I hope you are ready! Whats all done to your car? You have any suggestions on any modifications that were were worth the money, I am thinking a lightweight flywheel should help a bit.

kouki_chee, I remember you showing up to point with that red S13... you had told me you had swapped the diffs to an LSD unit and it drifts like a champ. I don't remember seeing any of your other cars there, but its been a long time and I have a bad memory.

I did a bunch of stuff to put me way out of ST now in the S13. I put 17x9 (+12) F and 17x10 (+15) R on 255/40/17 XS's and that penalizes me super hard in both diameter increase from stock and width increase in stock. I also ended up putting LSD in and all spherical bearing adjustable suspension bits.

It really knocks me hard via SCCA classing techniques, might be in STX, STU, or SM depending on how many entrants they have and if they are willing to slightly bend the rules on the 10" rear rim/LSD. (9" rim max, only LSD if they had it OE)

My end goal with the car is SM, just might have to be slow in that class for a year or two. My local club does not count mods/broad classification like that and penalizes you on exactly what you have done to your car via a points system, which I like way more and really only serious about my club racing than local SCCA events since the car is so uncompetitive. SCCA events = shady seat time/working 2 heats. PASS!

Mods I suggest is suspension, suspension, suspension, brakes, suspension, suspension, suspension.

In that order.

Seriously though, suspension is a must. Budget coilover system like Megan will be fine to learn on, a joke to compete on. You know yourself double adjustable Koni's and things like that are needed to place on the podium, but I already know that isn't your aim.

Megans will be fantastic for your budget/quality needs. Godspeed adjustable arms...questionable quality, rod ends wear out quickly, daily drive the car? Dont get them. Track only car...prob get away with them due to stockness of the vehicle and loads that wont be repeated on the joints like daily use. Need the adjustability of the arms though for a competitive align and cornerweight. Almost makes them a must. I have found these cars respond ridiculously well to suspension bits and make it a far sharper driving tool. Just keep it at stock power levels while you feel it out for a season or two. I am retarded fast with the above done on 205/50/15 XS's. I believe I placed 4th or 5th in PAX at our last lapping day between BOTH the A.M. and P.M. session, suspension/tires only. Stock as stone vehicle otherwise down to the paper filter.

Brakes, fresh cut rotors with Hawk HP+ in fronts only, backs as well if the pads are shot, but if not leave the mystery rear pads.

LSD of some sort really help corner exit and post apex linearity cornering. Otherwise expect a 1 tire fire, especially on tight auto-x corners, track not so much.

Lightweight flywheel will no doubt help since rotating mass is being reduced, however I feel your money could be way better spent in other depts. Not to mention if you are switching it up to an SR20 later the flywheel you put in there is no longer useful. I plan on doing SR in the next year or 2 and refuse to purchase crap for my car that wont swap over. Cat-back exhausts are only chassis specific, not motor, so that is one thing that will still have a use. (for example)

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am still learning as well but racing the car for a few seasons has forced me some knowledge real nice like.
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Riggle wrote:

I did a bunch of stuff to put me way out of ST now in the S13. I put 17x9 (+12) F and 17x10 (+15) R on 255/40/17 XS's and that penalizes me super hard in both diameter increase from stock and width increase in stock. I also ended up putting LSD in and all spherical bearing adjustable suspension bits.

It really knocks me hard via SCCA classing techniques, might be in STX, STU, or SM depending on how many entrants they have and if they are willing to slightly bend the rules on the 10" rear rim/LSD. (9" rim max, only LSD if they had it OE)

My end goal with the car is SM, just might have to be slow in that class for a year or two. My local club does not count mods/broad classification like that and penalizes you on exactly what you have done to your car via a points system, which I like way more and really only serious about my club racing than local SCCA events since the car is so uncompetitive. SCCA events = shady seat time/working 2 heats. PASS!.

Whats the main club you autox with(Guessing ECSCC becuase I know they run a points system)? What LSD did you choose and why? I also hate working at autox's, it blows. With the FVSCC/CWSCC I don't really like the classing much either, but I don't make it to enough events to care anyway. There is no way I would build my only car around those rules.

So all thats done to your car is the wheel/tire upgrade, the LSD, and spherical bearing adjustable suspension bits? What is on your car for springs/shocks?

Riggle wrote:

Seriously though, suspension is a must. Budget coilover system like Megan will be fine to learn on, a joke to compete on. You know yourself double adjustable Koni's and things like that are needed to place on the podium, but I already know that isn't your aim.

Megans will be fantastic for your budget/quality needs. Godspeed adjustable arms...questionable quality, rod ends wear out quickly, daily drive the car? Dont get them. Track only car...prob get away with them due to stockness of the vehicle and loads that wont be repeated on the joints like daily use. Need the adjustability of the arms though for a competitive align and cornerweight. Almost makes them a must. I have found these cars respond ridiculously well to suspension bits and make it a far sharper driving tool. Just keep it at stock power levels while you feel it out for a season or two. I am retarded fast with the above done on 205/50/15 XS's. I believe I placed 4th or 5th in PAX at our last lapping day between BOTH the A.M. and P.M. session, suspension/tires only. Stock as stone vehicle otherwise down to the paper filter.

I am still considering buying a set of yellows for the car, I think they are an awesome product. Lifetime Warranties are a big plus to me. The adjustabilty I had with them on my crx was amazing, not only dampening but you could adjust where the spring sat also so you had a little height adjustment. If I bought a set of Koni Yellows and matched them with a set of lowering springs down the road, I would imagine it might handle better than the Megans would. However, the Megans would end up being cheaper, and allow for a bit more of a drop....Yeah I am that guy, I like a pretty low/ good looking stance. Especially if I am going to get some lower offset wheels, I don't want to have much fender gap and have the car look goofy. All in all I am looking for a fun daily driver that will be fun out on the track maybe 5 times a year.

Any suggestions on some RUCA's that will last a while? I wasn't mentioning the Godspeed ones before, I was actually considering there coilovers Neutral

Riggle wrote:

Lightweight flywheel will no doubt help since rotating mass is being reduced, however I feel your money could be way better spent in other depts. Not to mention if you are switching it up to an SR20 later the flywheel you put in there is no longer useful. I plan on doing SR in the next year or 2 and refuse to purchase crap for my car that wont swap over. Cat-back exhausts are only chassis specific, not motor, so that is one thing that will still have a use. (for example)

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am still learning as well but racing the car for a few seasons has forced me some knowledge real nice like.

Here is where I run into another large issue, I have no idea if I want to swap motors down the road or not. Its difficult to tell right now, So buying modifications that will stay on the car is a bit of a hang-up.The clutch as-is could use replacing in my eyes, it would hold through summer I am sure, but I reall like a clutch that bites. So I figured if I replace that I might as well through in a flywheel too.

Exhaust isn't on my to do list right now, seeing that one that sounds half way decent would cost a good chunk of change I don't have. I spent almost 750$ on the Tanabe Touring Medallion I had on my CRX because I am a firm anti-rice sounding car guy, and it cost a ton to buy an exhuast that makes a honda sound....well not like most hondas. Looking back on it, it seems like a bad investment 750$!!! I could have almost gotten a used supercharger for that much-ish. I barely saw any power gains for the money spent. Anywho thats my exhuast rant, unless there is some cheap exhuast that happens to sound decent for these cars I don't plan on getting one very soon.

Besides exhaust, suspension, and brakes there really isn't much that would stay with the car if I did end up swapping it. So I should really concentrate on the suspension and brakes first.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:54 pm

yeah i bought the red one from a kid and had some goodies from a buddy to use... the diff was from a na 300zx VLSD... u would need the 5 bolt axels from a Infiniti J30 but worth it when done...
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

kouki_chee wrote:
yeah i bought the red one from a kid and had some goodies from a buddy to use... the diff was from a na 300zx VLSD... u would need the 5 bolt axels from a Infiniti J30 but worth it when done...

You are not also the guy who put rocks into his sentra SE-R motor are you, awhile back I was on a forum and saw someone making fun of people from WI, and there was then a link to a Nissan website showing a guy who thought his motor was maybe shot, so he decided to finish off a running motor by putting rocks into the motor while the car was running. The only reason I ask is that, I am pretty sure that the car in the video had the same grill as your spec-v. I have been trying to find the video, but can't anymore....random I know.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

haha yeah i am... i know i was young and ignorant... lol yeah i bought the spec for $4000 with a engine that was starting to fail from precat failure and sucking in 2 butterfly screws so i decided the fastest way to get a swap was to see if it would still run with some rocks in there... well it did for a total of 5mins... that was also the only way i could get the fund for the swap... my parents and girl wouldnt give me the cash without the engine still running shitty as hell so yeah... yeah yeah yeah i know what i dumb idea but it worked!!! next day $1500 was in my hand.. i blew it all off for a new engine and tranny and a 06 rear conversion...
Back to top Go down
traphikcod4

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:49 pm

this is all way to much to read, but welcome man... i want me a gvr-4 for th winter haha
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm

well suck it up and read it!

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:38 pm

traphikcod4 wrote:
this is all way to much to read, but welcome man... i want me a gvr-4 for th winter haha

agree i did have a gsx for winter and it was the most fun i ever had with a dsm
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:06 am

clean s13, welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, something "a Little" different.    

Back to top Go down

New Member, something "a Little" different.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Introductions-
Jump to: