A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Coolant leak

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Coolant leak   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Tongiht I was driving my car to the store. When I left to come home after about 2 miles of driving I realized that my temp guage shot up and so I pulled over immedately. After opening the hood I realized that a coupling I installed for a heater hose during my engine swap broke, and it dumped all of the coolant. It only ran for a minute or so after this happened and the engine didn't run at a high heat for any amount of time. After I fixed it and refilled the coolant I drove the extra 2 miles home and it seemed to run fine. Regardless, am i screwed? do you think that I caused any engine damage? Your thoughts are much appreciated. No
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 pm

prob not if it was only overheating for like 4 seconds... when i had my volkswagen that thing overheated when it was 20 degrees outsides a few times lol. then again thats a vdub...
but i don't think ur engine is damaged... i bet if you drove like 20 miles w it overheating i could see... u can borrow the 2jz for a few weeks if ud like? lol. we trade... that for the soldering gun Smile

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 pm

i would ASSUME you would be fine, i can't see the car doing any damage in that short amount of time.

I know for a fact that liz's 2JZ has gotten REAL hot for longer then you said, you should be fine.

ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

if the car didnt over heat after you filled her up again itll be fine.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:51 am

Yep, you're ok.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks for the help. I will take it out tonight to find out how it is running.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:41 am

ill come w/......... lol

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
traphikcod4

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:26 pm

You let it over heat...
do what they do on pinks and put ice bags on the motor haha
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:25 pm

I didn't let it overheat. I was driving and had a part fail and all of the coolant ran out rather rapidly.

I filled the coolant backup and ran it to bleed the system, and now for some reason the T-stat is not opening up. The whole radiator is hot and the lower hose is cool to the touch. Guess I will be taking that apart to see if it is stuck closed after overheating it.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Get that fuker dun before Sat.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Seems like some models of t-stats will get stuck open when heated way past their limit. G/f's Elantra T-stat had these tabs that were sprung outward so when the T-stat moved past them it locked it into full open mode. Press in the tabs and the spring sprung it closed. It prob would have been ok to use again but I couldn't trust it (not to mention I had a new one in hand).

No idea they did that until I saw this one. Not sure if this is common or not as I haven't actually sat down and looked at one. I just get them out of the bag/box, orient, put in.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:26 pm

What dale said

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Riggle wrote:
Seems like some models of t-stats will get stuck open when heated way past their limit. G/f's Elantra T-stat had these tabs that were sprung outward so when the T-stat moved past them it locked it into full open mode. Press in the tabs and the spring sprung it closed. It prob would have been ok to use again but I couldn't trust it (not to mention I had a new one in hand).

No idea they did that until I saw this one. Not sure if this is common or not as I haven't actually sat down and looked at one. I just get them out of the bag/box, orient, put in.

This one seems to be stuck closed. I am about to pull it out now I will let you know what I find. Maybe a 2300 dollar 240sx is in the works yet.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 pm

So I took off the water inlet neck, and it appeared to be dry inside even after all the coolant was drained. I am thinking maybe there wa san air lock at the thermostat that maybe was not allowing it to get hot enough to open. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I read that too fast, NVM about the whole stuck open thing. Complete 180 from what I thought it was (thought you were staying cool for some reason).

Water pump not pushing any coolant?

Can you feel pressure in the upper hose when you run it? Is it easy to squeeze by hand? You should notice a difference in how it feels running/non running. Should seem stiffer when you run the car.

Still say its a thermostat issue, but just pitching ideas/easy things to check.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 pm

s13.240sx wrote:
So I took off the water inlet neck, and it appeared to be dry inside even after all the coolant was drained. I am thinking maybe there wa san air lock at the thermostat that maybe was not allowing it to get hot enough to open. Any thoughts?

Possible for sure, had a Subaru that would overheat on me and the new OEM thermostat would NOT freakin open.

After a few heat cycles at the shop it opened up fine. Not sure what its deal was as I use an airlift a majority of the time to avoid any/all air pockets.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Yeah I believe the pump is fine it was moving water through the heater hoses cause I was running the heat to prevent any overheating while I was bleeding the system.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Once I removed the Tstat it felt like it was stuck the first time that I manually pushed it open. After that it was no big deal. I threw it in a pot of water on the stove to make some Tstat soup. When the temp hit 76 C it opened up. that is only one degree off of spec(providing my digital thermometer is calibrated properly). I also have a new Nismo tstat, I just didn't want to install it due to the fact that it runs so cold for just cruising down the freeway. I think that I will try my luck with the OE spec Tstat and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

I got everything reassembled, started the car bleed the air out of the cooling system. And Viola! the Thermostat opened and the coolant flowed gloriously through my engine and radiator like it should. Took it for a spin and the car seemed to run normal. My hypothesis about the sticking thermostat is that the short duration of super hot temps probably caused the rubber seal to stick closed, or maybe some coolant dried in there acting kind of like an adhesive. None the less when I cooked it on the stove it opened up and I could see where this happened so I carefully cleaned it in the hot water so it would stay open with out me needing to force it. For you that have more automotive knowledge, is there anything that I should be looking out for that would indicate that there has been some sort of damage? I thank you in advance for your help!
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 pm

good to hear you got it fixed, i'd keep your nose open for any smells, and keep an ear open for odd sounds the car normally didn't make, i think you SHOULD be fine though.

s13.240sx

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Yeah I will monitor it closely.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Glad u got it figured it!!

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm

If it works, it works. If it doesn't, replace it.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:38 pm

w/ a 2jz

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Lizmo wrote:
w/ a 2jz

nope a b18 vvtack yo. you know keep it jdm tyte.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   

Back to top Go down

Coolant leak
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: