A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ka24E Major Missfire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JustTouge

PostSubject: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm

So the past 2 days my 1990 240sx didnt want to start, it would crank and crank like normal, but just not fire.I was messing with it and found out the car will start (and run fine it seems) if you would the gas pedal while starting it. I figured the fuel pump was going.

So I started it that way twice yesterday and drove it to class and back (maybe 5 miles total), and it seemed to run like normal. I parked it in the garage and wanted to check the ECU to see if it was throwing any codes, nope not a single one. So after that I go to restart it with the gas pedal depressed, and once it fired it was missfiring significantly, and it slightly smells like gas to me.

So again, I try to pull any codes out of it. Still nothing, but it isn't even driveable. My buddy was over who has a Z32 and told me it sounds just like his car does when a injector shits out. Maybe thats my issue? I am stuck here in Oshkosh with no tools, so I can't pull the plugs to look at them, I wish I had a mutli-meter to test the injectors.

Last week I replaced the intake, plugs (with some cheap-o's), and wires(magnacore). So I don't think its any of that...I am leaning towards its either a injector or the distributor. I was just wondering if anyone had the same problems or advice before I start looking into it.

A little off subject, but last week I ended up getting a set of megan racing track series coilovers. Best investment. I'm not sure why people complain about them being to stiff, just keep them set on soft and you are good to go. Easy install, I am very pleased with them. Here are some before and after pictures for your entertainment.

Before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

After:
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 pm

looks good with the new coils.

as far as the misfire, it could be an injector. quick way to trouble shoot them is when the car is running unplug each injector one at a time, and see if the car runs any different. if the car stays the same that injector is the issue.

another issue with SOHC KA's is the air temp sensor in your intake box. if those go bad it causes the car to run bad/goofy. and i think will cause it not start might want to look into that.

j240sxxx

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:56 pm

I had a e that did that too. I don't wanna way 100% thats what it is that's just what I did and it worked for me but yea that's what it sounds like to me.
Back to top Go down
j240sxxx

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:57 pm

BTW yea the hatch looks really nice low.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Check your coolant temp sensor and fuel pressure regulator as well... Both can cause a rich condition/ misfire/ no start.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Flicktitty wrote:

another issue with SOHC KA's is the air temp sensor in your intake box. if those go bad it causes the car to run bad/goofy. and i think will cause it not start might want to look into that.

Well that could be a major cause in my problem. When I installed my intake I left the sensor outside the box(there was no place to put it on my new intake), I was told it wasnt a big deal. I looked at the sensor just chilling there yesterday, and its all smashed and bent up. Maybe thats the problem

J240sx you were agreeing with flickitty? But for which part? Thanks for the compliments on the car guys, I like how it looks and rides too.

Going to check the injectors and for spark shortly.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Damn dude, it wasn't acting up at USAIR was it?

What gives?!

I have had to replace 2 stock injectors so far on my totally stock KA24E. They have been 2 different ones as well. So far not a good track record for those injectors Smile

Let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 pm

i had sorta the same problem.. it ended up being the injector... now its running like a champ but i just need to get insurance before it hits the road
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Riggle wrote:
Damn dude, it wasn't acting up at USAIR was it?

What gives?!

I have had to replace 2 stock injectors so far on my totally stock KA24E. They have been 2 different ones as well. So far not a good track record for those injectors Smile

Let us know what you find.

It seemed fine at usair the other day, maybe running a tid bit slower than normal, but who knows. I should ride in your car sometime to see what the stock Ka24e is supposed to feel like.

Yeah, ended up being the 1st injector being shot. I needed the car fixed asap so I went and ordered a injecter from autozone 79$ ouch. I bet I could have gotten it much cheaper online.
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 pm

that doesnt seem like a half bad price. then again ur the single slammer so idk lol i just know dual cam injectors are like 100 plus

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:05 am

damn i have some single cam injectors for 50 for the whole rail lol
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 am

Lizmo wrote:
that doesnt seem like a half bad price. then again ur the single slammer so idk lol i just know dual cam injectors are like 100 plus

Might not be single slam for long, The car might be listed for sale Cool ....
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:38 am

What why? how much Wink

JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 am

Flicktitty wrote:
What why? how much Wink

I would really like to get into a s14, or maybe another miata. Then boost whatever car I end up with, I don't want to deal with the single cam in this car, I want a car with a factory motor I can boost easy enough/ cheap enough, and has a few different options for tuning.

I'm not really in a rush to sell the car, So the price is stupid high. I listed it at 3,800$ Shocked
Back to top Go down
Lizmo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 am

haha yeah it wont sell for that price! i lost my ass on the coupe i just sold..

2jz NO SHIT.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/lizmo23
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 am

Lizmo wrote:
haha yeah it wont sell for that price! i lost my ass on the coupe i just sold..

Wasn't that auto though?

A clean, 5spd, low mileage, not all hacked up/peiced together 240 is pretty hard to come buy around here. It took me a few years to find one I liked. Some people might be willing to pay a hefty amount for one. So far I hae two people coming this weekend to look at it for 3,800$. We will see what happens I guess.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am

From the pic's i've seen that car is pretty clean. and with the coilovers that will help the price. but your gonna get low-balled i bet. i did just send this car to a friend who is looking for a black hatch.

kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 pm

3800 does seem kinda high though... u can find some sr swapped or others around there.. glws though
Back to top Go down
kouki_chee

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 pm

oh yeah my buddys single cam s13 with tons of mods sold afew weeks ago for $3700... it had some good stuff done to it and u might see it as a pizza delivery car now in madison!!! lol
Back to top Go down
JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:54 pm

kouki_chee wrote:
3800 does seem kinda high though... u can find some sr swapped or others around there.. glws though

Yeah if people are like me, they will try to avoid the 3,800$ SR swapped "this week only" special 240sx. I've been there, done that with cars before, and its just no fun buying someones hacked together project fixing issues that you know shouldn't exist in the first place. Everything from the wiring issues, to gobs of JB weld on the oddest spots, and the most rigged suspension setups I have ever seen. All of them have 200k+ on the body with "only 60k" on the motor with no reciepts.. I dont think I will ever buy another highly modified car again. Build it yourself.

If someone is looking for a clean slate to build off(like I was) of this is the car, nothings rigged here. Its decently clean for the year, only I think like 3 owners, and its low mileage which is a big deal to me.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I think my buddy Jason messaged you about this.

JustTouge

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:12 pm

Flicktitty wrote:
I think my buddy Jason messaged you about this.

Yeah I think he emailed me, and text'd my phone. I emailed him back...But I deleted his text by accident. He can text me back if he likes, or just respond through email.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ka24E Major Missfire   

Back to top Go down

Ka24E Major Missfire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: