A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

help with seized ruca eccentric bolt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VNG704

PostSubject: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 pm

s14

How to get out the RUCA eccentric bolt that is seized inside the metal insert thing with the offset center, which is inside the bushing. The nut and washer is off. When I turn the bolt with the metal insert, it all just spins inside the bushing. There is gasoline lines and the tank right there so torching isn't an option. I've drenched it with pb blaster but nothing so I then tried freeze off penetrate, nothing. Tried this agian and soaking as I type this. I won't be using this bolt anymore. Tried cutting it with a oscillating power tool and metal cutting blades I bought. Slid the blade between the subframe bracket and the bushing dulling 3 blades($10 each) with little results. No room for sufficient force to hammer it. Unless I drop the whole subframe and I do not want to do that. Last thing I can think of is buy a recpricating saw power tool. Maybe the blades for this is more heavy duty but last resort as I'd hate to spend more money on another expensive tool. Driver's side came out easy. I would like some other options that work is all. TIA.

Google is showing penetrate oil and hammer.
Back to top Go down
Flicktitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

sometimes making the bolt tighter will cause it to infact loosen up. might want to try that.

600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

He's talking about the bolt seized to the bushings sleeve. Torching or some sort of penatrant spray is the best bet. Those bolts are hardened, so cutting them with a saw sucks. We use Aerokroil, it works the best.

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:17 pm

sounds like the typical honda situation. i just cut in between the bushing and subframe with a sawzall. then once its out you will need to install a new control arm or replace the bushing. happens to me all the time.
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 am

sawzall=recipricating saw... yea. Giving aerokroil a chance. Not sure if the aerokroil will work since the part of the bolt that's inside the bushing sleeve isn't threaded, but we'll see how well it penetrates. I've read a few reviews online before I bought it and everyone swears by it. But then they all do. Seems you have to order it because you won't find it at a parts store. If it fails then I may have to cough up the dough for the saw. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 am

Aerokroil is really good stuff. The first time I ever used it was in a machine at a new job. There was a cam that was held by a setscrew to a shaft. It was siezed up solid and I couldn't turn it. The guy training me said "watch this" sprayed it and waited a few minutes. I pulled it off with my hand after that.
Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 am

Cover up the fuel tank and lines with a blanket, rags, shingles, gypsy tears, what ever. Then heat up everything except the bolt with a small propane torch. Alternate heating with getting it cold with water on it. The hot then cold real fast will shock the metal and release its grip (only chill the stuck bolt no the stuff its wedged in). Tap it with a hammer a little bit if needed.

Last resort should be to cut anything.
Back to top Go down
93sapphirecoupe

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:46 pm

the bushing is trashed anyways if the sleeve is spinning inside. doing anything besides getting out as quickly as possible is just wasting time in my opinion. you are going to need to replace the bushing no matter what.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm

VNG704 wrote:
sawzall=recipricating saw... yea. Giving aerokroil a chance. Not sure if the aerokroil will work since the part of the bolt that's inside the bushing sleeve isn't threaded, but we'll see how well it penetrates. I've read a few reviews online before I bought it and everyone swears by it. But then they all do. Seems you have to order it because you won't find it at a parts store. If it fails then I may have to cough up the dough for the saw. Thanks.

Any progress yet?

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
ohhhizzzy

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Yeah did u get it out?
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:32 am

Not yet. Can of aerokroil is supposed to be here today. Yea, I'm lagging. Not in a rush since I don't have to drive that car but when the aerokroil comes in I'm getting on it. And the bushing IS trash after my first try with a saw. I'm replacing the whole unit anyway so I could care less about the bushing or the RUCA.

My guess is welded by previous owner? And those are aftermarket bushings.
pic of driver side control arm I was able to easily pull out.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 am

Update: Aerokroil didn't work. It does seem a bit more gooey then pb blaster though. Bolt with the metal sleeve just kept spinning inside the bushing. I had someone saw it off with an air powered saw.
Back to top Go down
600SX
Admin

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Good deal. More pics of newly installed parts please!

I AM THE ANTI-PRIUS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help with seized ruca eccentric bolt   

Back to top Go down

help with seized ruca eccentric bolt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: