A place for Wisconsin 240sx owners and enthusiasts to meet.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Power steering woes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Riggle

PostSubject: Power steering woes.   Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Ok, so I got my motorset (SR), am pulling everything out of my car, getting ready to put in the SR, and I have to do a double take on the power steering setup.

Christ, its completely different!

Of course, I have the 90 (KA24E) setup with all the wrong lines, pump, ect. Great...

No biggie, I'll just get the new lines and be done with it...WRONG!

I got an SR motorset from a HICAS car so I have a dual PS pump setup so now I need a pump, lines, ect.

It looks to me like a KA24DE pump is exactly the same as the SR, anyone know this for a fact?

Zilvia is a f*cking nightmare to search, I find threads on such random useless BS regarding PS. None of them having to do with interchangeability or real solutions, only retards asking more questions.

I know I need to get the lines as well since I have the ultra long routing, the Chase Bays kit looks appealing, but I can probably make the hose at work for a few dollars (we have a complete Hydro line/fitting setup). Im torn...

Also I need PS, period, end of story.
Back to top Go down
theboy

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 pm

The pumps are different. Im gong through that bs rite now. The drain hits the tensioner bracket bolted to the block, and the black plate bolted to the pump to use with the tension itself is different and wont work at all (gets in the way of the sr pulley).

Ive heard that if your non hicas pump is junk, you can swap the bracket and pulley from it to a ka pump. Cant verify personally tho. Make a WTB thread on zilvia and i guarantee youll get a bunch of people ready to sell you a full pump and everything else youll need
Back to top Go down
VNG704

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am

Quote :
It looks to me like a KA24DE pump is exactly the same as the SR, anyone know this for a fact?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

another: "If you are swapping into a chassis that had the KA24E, and want to retain power steering, DOHC power steering resevoir and lines are needed. Keep the KADE power steering pump as they are interchangable if you have the SR20det pulley and bracket." -from following link,

hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

[quote="VNG704"]
Quote :
hope that helps.

Wow man, I am seriously in your debt. That is the exact info I was looking for.

Super search action right there.

What I glean from both of the links is that you can use either the KA24DE PS pump OR the KA24E pump as long as you have the bracket and pulley from the SR.

Though, since the PS mount is on the opposite side of the engine bay (for the KA24E anyways) the KA24DE lines/reservoir will be needed to connect it all.

Its a shame though, when I hit a really fast slalom my power steering would quit (level was beyond full + new fluid) and I was really hoping to be able to switch out the pump, lines, and reservoir, but hopefully the pump was not the problem since now I have to keep it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Small update:

For posterity, the KA24E pump will NOT work with the SR. According to this article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it says it will, it in fact wont. I tried today and there is no possible configuration of either brackets or pumps that will make it work. This may be because I have a HICAS pump that came with my SR, but the KA24E pump mounts completely different and is adjusted very different from the SR. The SR adjustment is at the bracket and has a swinging arm with a long adjustment bolt, the KA adjusts via the idler pulley.

Again, may be due to the fact that I have a HICAS pump setup, but my stock one will not work. Also, the pulley from the SR pump is splined different compared to the KA pump, so even if it all bolted together, the pulleys will not interchange.
Back to top Go down
speed_demon

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:23 pm

This post might help some. It even has some good pictures showing the differences. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Hicas bracket only works with the hicas pump unless you modify it.

The KADE pump will bolt onto a standard SR PS bracket, but you may run into an interference issue if you use an aftermarket UD pulley.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Great post/link, thanks!

I was reading on there that you can easily modify the HICAS pump to work, I will have to dig into that a little deeper to find out how easy it really is. It basically looks longer like there are 2 pumps (which there are), so perhaps I can seperate them and be done with this business.

What a miniscule pain in the ass this has become, lol!

In getting a running clip I wasn't anticipating this detour, but every major mod has unforseen detours.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:18 pm

There it is. Info I was looking for, I can just modify the HICAS pump to work no problem.

It does bother me though because the pump weighs a TON compared to the other pumps, not only that, but the pulley does not come off like the other pulley's. It is pressed on there and is not splined the same. So if I did want to ever switch out the pulley for a nice aluminum one, I can't do it.

So I can make it work in the mean time, but its not EXACTLY the setup I want. Boo.
Back to top Go down
240sxguy

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:19 am

I didn't really understand what you were asking. I did the same thing with my power steering pump that I originally had on my car, which was hicas.
Back to top Go down
Riggle

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

Haha, well we got her figured. Thanks to all that replied.

Damn HICAS...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power steering woes.   

Back to top Go down

Power steering woes.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wisconsin240sx :: Tech-
Jump to: